Thursday, November 08, 2007

keep on keepin on

Well, I kinda blew the whole 'write everyday for 30 days' aspect of NaBloPoMo, as I missed not one, not two, but three days in a row...and I'm woefully behind on my NaNoWriMo novel. But I have kept up with my 365 Days project! One out of three ain't bad.

However, in the spirit of finishing what I started, sort of anyway, I'm still going to strive to write 30 blog posts this month. And at least one everyday from now on. We'll see how this goes. It's kind of like this whole running thing- I miss a day or two and then go back to it, just trying to keep plugging along, not giving up. This strategy is working for me so far. I've never been a friend of perfection. It's so damn boring.

Speaking of running,

I RAN ONE AND A HALF MILES TODAY WITHOUT STOPPING!

I ran a mile on Tuesday, and nearly wet my pants with excitement. Three-fourths of a mile had been a challenge up until that point. A mile was awesome. I never would have dreamed that I could do 1.5 miles today! A friend was gently prodding me to run and dropped a line something like, "Now go run one and a half miles..." and I responded that no, I didn't think that was happening.

But, when I hit one mile, I thought, hey, I'll just go for one and a quarter, and that will be great! And then I hit 1.25 miles and thought, damn, I really could make it the whole 1.5 miles. And even though I knew it was coming, I was shocked when I hit the 1.5 milepost, on many counts:
A: I was still alive, and not hyperventilating or in danger of a massive heart attack.
B: I was still alive, and I ran 1.5 miles without stopping.
C: I was still alive, and I ran 1.5 miles without quitting.

In the past, quitting when the going got tough had been a acceptable option, at least for pursuits like exercise, which while important, are not life-changing in and of themselves. If I fell off the wagon, or messed up, I'd just throw up my hands and quit. But now, I not only feel obligated to follow through, just because I've told other folks about my goals and don't want to disappoint them, but because I don't want to disappoint myself. I want to push myself. I want to see how far I can go. And the more little changes I'm able to make in my life, the more motivated I am to start plugging away at the big things, the things that are extremely important and life changing, but just seemed too impossible or too difficult to attempt to fix.

For the first time, I feel like I really could run three miles without stopping. And for the first time in a long time, I feel like I really could make it to the next milepost without giving up. Hell, I might even sprint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home