Thursday, January 06, 2005

Hell fucking yeah!

I don't know who all came up with the idea of a Caitlin/Kevn/Jason show, but they have my undying gratitude. What a fucking awesome show. I should write a proper review, but after today's work, my brain might explode unless I consume another generous G&T fairly shortly. So just take my word for it until later.

I would like to personally thank Caitlin, Kevn, and Jason for being gracious enough to happily sign the t-shirt I bought for my ultra-cool, unbelievably sweet man who had to stay home with The Kid. (This falls under the heading HOW TO BE THE BEST BOYFRIEND IN THE WORLD.) Of course, at that point in the evening, judging from the relaxed smiles and empty glasses, they probably would have signed a pizza box for me and not known the difference. I do love people who know how to enjoy themselves.

I will say that I can't wait to hear the rest of Caitlin's new album with Thad Cockrell. The only possible way that the show could have been improved upon is if he were on stage with them, but the dude singing backup for Caitlin did an admirable job (did she call him Big Bartholomew? I have seen him around in years past, doing sound for The Brewery and I think playing in another band...)

I also need to pick up Kevn's new album (The Sun Tangled Angel Revival), but I knew that already.

What did surprise me was how much I enjoyed Jason Isbell, of the Drive By Truckers. I've noticed that band name before on music schedules for certain venues, but never heard much about their music or been tempted to go hear them play sight unseen (would that be aurally unknown?) as it were. Well, slap my ass and call me Charlie if that boy can't sing and write songs. (And if anyone really wants to slap my ass, let it be known I prefer to be called "Naughty Girl" while you're doing it, not Charlie. Nothing wrong with Charlie, it's a very nice name and I have known a couple of exceedingly nice people named Charlie, it's just not a turn on for me. To be called Charlie, that is. I'm sure that there are plenty of nice, attractive men named Charlie who might be able to turn me on, if I wasn't otherwise involved at the moment, so it's not like the name is a total deal breaker or anything, I just don't want to be called Charlie myself.)

Hey, I told you upfront there would be digressions. Look at the top of the page. See?

So anyway, we should all go buy at least 2 new albums this week. I know I will.

On a final note, it was super fabulous awesome to see Jamie Dawson, Jamie's very nice sister-in-law whose name I don't remember because I am terrible with names, and Adam Lane. It has been waaaaay too long. I was very pleased to hear that Jamie's bluegrass band, Kickin' Grass, is doing smashingly, and that Brothers Grim is still around in a slightly different incarnation. Rock on.

My only regret is that I did not make Adam Lane tell me the story of "Lumber and the Terribly Hot Chicken Wings." It is my very favorite Adam Lane story, and Adam Lane has many good stories, so that is saying something. In fact, he is the only person I know besides me who seems to have a story for everything, and his were always much more amusing than mine. I have tried several times, usually after several delicious libations, to tell my boyfriend Jason this story, and I always fuck it up royally because I can hear Adam telling it in my head and it makes me laugh and then I don't get it right and I thoroughly confuse Jason and myself and end up laughing in a pathological fashion for many minutes. Anyway, if you happen to meet Adam Lane one day, make him tell you this story. It is fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home