Thursday, July 05, 2007

an unexpected repercussion of being a hipster hippie

Naturtint Herbal Hair Colour 5C - Light Copper Chestnut



Gabby's Hair on Naturtint Hair Colour 5C - Dark Cherry Armoir



Naturtint is a vegetarian, no animal testing, sweet hippie hair color. I've been trying to switch over, where possible, to low-impact on the environment, animal-friendly, organic and natural products. We've mostly achieved this with our food, while realizing that sometimes it's not feasible (like when you eat in a restaurant, which we do infrequently), but we feel like we do a pretty good job on balance and that the bulk of our choices are very responsible, which makes up for our minor transgressions.

Hair color was one area where I hadn't yet 'gone green', and I was excited to pick up the Naturtint the last time we were blowing a wad at the friendly Raleigh Whole Foods. My foray into natural moisturizer (Jason- the natural cosmetics company, not the husband), makeup (Burt's Bees) and body wash (Dr Bronner's- works great with Noah's excema, all the 'flavors' we have tried smell terrific, and it gives me something to read while I'm on the pot- check out their labels next time you see a bottle!) has so far gone swimmingly, so I was naively expecting the same...or at least, something closer to the color I saw on the package.

Oh well. No good deed goes unpunished.

I was just trying to help out all the poor bunny rabbits that are blinded, injured, or killed during scandalously evil animal testing. But the truth is that almost no companies animal test in that way, if at all, for cosmetics these days. They don't have to- the ingredients in today's cosmetics have already been tested by and large, and all those poor bunnies were already crippled or dead years ago. But it was the principle of the thing, man!

Now, all I have to day is, screw my principles and the bunnies. I'm going back to L'Oreal. If it's good enough for Andi McDowell, it's good enough for me.



You better watch your back, man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home